Cool Engineering

Info on some cool engineering projects

Monday, March 27, 2006

Welcome and greetings

Hello everyone.
The purpose of this online journal is not to provide some deep and personal account of my life and neither is it designed to embarrass my friends or stuff like that. Really the main purpose is to document some engineering projects that I work on. Before all the non-nerdy types decide to not visit this site again - well this is a kind of really cool and interesting project.
Some introduction is needed:
For my final project in my CS/EE double degree I'm looking at constructing an Autonomous UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) aka a drone. Hopefully now I have your attention. The project will be a little scaled back (it won't land or take off by itself, and has a relatively short range), but it should be a really cool proof-of-concept project which should provide some cool results. Most of my friends know that I like working with various gadgets and this project has wide scope for that including GPS, magnetometers, gyros, servos and of course my wonderful plane which will hopefully make it through intact. Together with Wade (another student with whom I'm working) we plan fit out the plane with some sensors and video equipment to provide some really cool effects, along with data logging capabilities for temperature and battery levels and the like.
For some preliminary info check out my (very plain website with cool photos) at:
http://homepage.cs.latrobe.edu.au/rj3ross/
At the very bottom of the page (yes probably not the best place for it) is the most exciting part - video footage from onboard the plane.
Well I'd be happy to hear your comment and possibly even suggestions - maybe you could find your way into my acknowledgements section in the final thesis. Now there’s some incentive if you needed some.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob. Keep going, and you'll end up with a defense contract.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still thinking we should be able to land it... I mean, how hard is it to hit the ground, anyway? The thing practically lands itself! Just turn off the throttle, and it'll 'land' sooner or later. :D

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home