Cool Engineering

Info on some cool engineering projects

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Power - Check, Override - Check

The last few days I have spent doing one of my favourite parts of the engineering process - hardware design, implementation and testing. You will see the PCB is starting to become populated with various components. The first part to build was the power supply circuitry - as this was fairly robust and nothing else could really be tested without it. Having installed the regulation circuitry for 5V and 3V - these were tested and found to be working well.
Next was the manual override circuitry - After installing all the relevant components I plugged my receiver in and checked what sort of result I was getting. Firstly I tuned the potentiometer to a nice position where moving my control stick in one direction switched to auto and centred or in the other direction switched to manual. So far - so good. Then the big test for this stage was to look at the behaviour when I switched off the controller (simulating a loss of signal) - the circuit started oscillating between auto and manual control every second or so - not a desired outcome. Looking back through my log book (yes these are really handy now - this saved me lots of debugging time) I found I had mistakenly put the wrong capacitor value on the schematic (for the 555 timer). When I changed the value (from 22nF to 10nF) the whole system worked perfectly - that log book has probably already paid for itself in saved time! Soon I'm planning on putting together a tutorial on double sided soldering of DIP terminal connectors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home