Cool Engineering

Info on some cool engineering projects

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Alcohol Burner/Stove


In a mood for building something I thought I would try my hand at building an alcohol stove (from Pepsi cans). This was based on the design found here. Halfway though the construction I found what seems to be a much more efficient burner, but as I was already engrossed in this one I pressed on.
My construction varied - mine uses no tape, and features small pop-rivets to join the middle separator ring together.
The results in non-optimum (the pot is uncovered and is sitting too high) was that it took 50mL of Metho, approximately 8 minutes to boil 500mL of water.
The improved version seems to be much more efficient (31.9mL of Metho to boil 945mL in approximately 8 minutes) - I might build this 'penny' version next, along with a pot holder. It would seem that Americans call Metho denatured alcohol (which was proving most confusing at first as I’d never heard of denatured alcohol).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home