Cool Engineering

Info on some cool engineering projects

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Finally a cool use for my GPS

I have had my GPS (Magellan 315) for over 4 years now, and have realistically hardly used it (and never had to rely on it) in that time. It has gone on every camping/hiking trip (including Cradle Mt) and has been cool to compare Speedo measurements - but other than that the usage has been somewhat trivial.

That is until I was introduced to Geocaching. Basically one signs up at http://www.geocaching.com/

After signing in you type in your postcode and see what hidden caches are in your local area. You punch in the long and lat into your GPS and find the secret cache.

So far I have found one - out of two trips (The first trip being successful - the second turning up nothing).

One word of warning I figured out the hard way - ensure the GPS Datum is set to WGS84 - otherwise you can be hundreds of metres out.

Google Maps (www.maps.google.com) is also your friend - simply pasting in the coordinates (eg. S 37° 42.893 E 145° 08.879) will take you to the surrounding area with a map.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home