Cool Engineering

Info on some cool engineering projects

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Throat Mic Mods

Having experimented several years ago with different tactical setups for my 'army games' I had touched upon using throat mics (not that dissimilar to what special forces use). One problem I encountered was mounting the mic so it would stay pretty much in position as I moved, and making the earpiece robust enough so that it could survive our tactical incursions.
Skipping forward 7 years I decided to purchase a cheap throat-mic off eBay (figuring this might help out for outdoor paintball). I have Uniden CB radio's, but since I couldn't find any throat mic's for them I went with an iCom mic - which had the same connector on it - I figured it would do basically the same thing. Skipping forwards a week - the mic arrived, I plugged it in and got absolutely nothing. Sound would come out of the earpiece and when I tapped it vibrations would come though the other end, but no voice. Whipping out the meter, I found that the resistance across the mic connector on the throat mic was double that of my (aftermarket Uniden) handset. Opening up the Uniden handset revealed a very simple circuit: an electret mic condenser in parallel with a 100pF cap and a 3.3K resistor. Upon discovering this I removed the flatter mic element from the throat mic with its connected circuitry and duplicated the circuit I found in the Uniden handset. Though repeated testing I found that in a throat mic configuration that it seemed to work better without the cap and resistor - I guess because it is working on more delicate vibrations from the voice box as opposed to a direct pressure wave. The cap would likely act as a high-pass filter, while the resistor in parallel with the mic resistance would reduce the sensitivity whilst possibly shifting down the non-actuated resistance to a lower level.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cool.
Pictures?

9:59 PM  
Blogger Robert Ross said...

Sure, pictures will follow in the next post

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home