Cool Engineering

Info on some cool engineering projects

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Laptop

After constant jeering (mainly from Wade) and frustration about the limitations of my current (5 year old laptop) I have taken the plung and ordered a new Thinkpad T43. It is selling at a really super deal - typically they retail for $3000 - but direct from IBM/Levono they are only $1199.
So I've just done the transfer and should have my new computer in a week or so. Unfortunately it is not the optimum configuration that I was after:
- It has a parallel port (I consider this to be a waste of space)
- It has no serial port - I use serial extensively for programming microcontrollers. No worries I got a USB to serial converter of eBay for $11
- It doesn't have firewire (I can get a converter for about $20)
- It also lacks built in Bluetooth. I do have a USB bluetooth dongle, but I noticed that on eBay you can get the IBM internal BT modules - that can wait I think.

Anyway, I'm really happy with an amazingly cheap deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home