Cool Engineering

Info on some cool engineering projects

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fix-it 5: PCMCIA woes

One annoying drawback with my current laptop (an otherwise excellent T43 Thinkpad) is it doesn't have built in Firewire (or a sound line in for that matter with is also annoying). Since I'm doing a fair bit of video work I decided to get a PCMCIA firewire card to overcome this hurdle - so onto eBay. The $18 car that I got looked kind of cheap (they even spelt insert wrong on the card label - I'd rather not inset the card). Anyway to cut a long story short the connector on the card wasn't straight and so bent the pins within my PCMCIA socket - Grrr.
On the Lenovo site they have excellent service manuals which aided me in pulling apart the laptop and straightening things out :).
A couple of days later I purchased a card from Centrecom, though it was double the price, it was of much higher build quality and worked perfectly! Excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home